Wednesday, March 14, 2007

in the studio

Over the past few days I've spent some time in my art studio, a space in our house that has been sadly neglected for much of my pregnancy. I don't really know why, but I just wasn't into painting over the past several months. It's normally one of my favourite things to do, but I've been busy prepping for baby and doing knitting/crafting (I'm proud to say that everything on the walls plus a cushion in the baby's room is handmade by mom.)

With the green light from my doctor, I wanted to squeeze in some studio time and really "work" in there before the baby arrives. I pulled out the big guns - some favourite CDs including Loreena McKennitt, a bowl of mini eggs for munching, and some canvases I had leftover from summer art shows. My first piece was small, just something quick and fun to get the inspiration going...

Next I did two mixed media pieces for over our bed. They were fun to do and I had that happy, almost buoyant feeling (as 'buoyant' as a girl can feel at 9 1/2 months pregnant) I get from painting. I suck at photographing art so the pictures aren't great, but here they are:

Paint and paper on canvas, 18" x 18" (diptych)



I'm so looking forward to getting creative with our little one, expressing her imagination and having studio time with mommy. One of my favourite Ontario artists did a series a few years ago where her small daughters painted on canvases, and she interpreted them on bigger canvases. And then there's crayons, markers, felt, playdough, paper... it will be so much fun!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are REALLY great! i love the cupcake flower. you make very pretty art!

Unknown said...

So very pretty... hope you're doing well these days. Almost there!

warmandsunnydays said...

Cupcake!

Anonymous said...

i love those! i just realised you had a blog! hope things are going well... the new stuff launched today!