Friday, June 01, 2007

growing girl

Sara has been having a growth spurt this week -- I was looking for it last week when she was 6 weeks old, and thought I may have missed the signs. This week, however, she has been draining her bottles and sleeping a lot more during the day. The sleep started first and she was fussing more, so I thought something was wrong, but now we know!

Fortunately the extra daytime sleep didn't mess up her nights too much... she has been really easy to put to bed after her 10:30 bottle, waking at 5 - 5:30 am. I just give her the pacifier and straighten out her blanket, figuring that taking her out of the crib will wake her more (I figure she'll need to keep the same diaper through the night anyway, unless I know it's dirty. She is totally slathered in vaseline!) She'll drift off pretty fast but some mornings the pacifier falls out and she starts fussing until it's back in, then goes to sleep again. Usually I can stretch her until her 7am feeding that way, but, last week she started at about 4:30am and I was in and out for the pacifier every 15-20 minutes... which means baby is sleeping, but mommy is not and daddy is already gone for work! She is trying extremely hard to suck her thumb when she wakes up, but isn't ready yet. Even when I put it in for her, she won't actually suck it. I want to try and break the habit of going in with the pacifier, but on the weekend when Ian is home to help. If I leave her to fuss too long she cries and is fully awake, and then no one is sleeping!

No comments: