Monday, June 18, 2007

recovering

For any new moms looking to shed those last pregnancy pounds, I have found the secret... acquire a terrible stomach flu / food poisoning, spend 4 days in bed, and those pounds will just fly right off! It's been a horrible time... not exactly how I planned to regain a flat tummy. As if a bout like that isn't bad enough, poor little Sara had some of it and we were concerned she'd get dehydrated. She had a milder case, thank goodness, that cleared up after two days of the stinkiest diapers she's ever had! Ian had to take over caring for her, and it's awful to be unable to care for your baby, but I was just knocked out. I needed the rest and watched lots of TV, but was pretty miserable. Ironically, while adults aren't supposed to eat, especially not dairy, and drink water, infants are supposed to keep eating their milk-based formula - even more, in fact, to keep hydrated - and no water until they are eating solids.

Today I'm tired and feeling a little stir crazy in the house, but am on the road to recovery. I got to play with my little lady, and finally set up her new Gymini play mat. While it hasn't made tummy time any more appealing yet, she quite likes it! I swear she has changed over the past few days... her hair looks thicker, she has seemingly found her feet, and crying is decreasing now. We can also decipher her cries much more now, particularly 'burp me' and 'I've had enough and need a nap'. We're starting to put her into her crib earlier too, 9pm, since she typically falls asleep with one of us at that time anyway (or is fussy and needs to.) It seems silly to get her off to sleep just to wake her for a bottle at 10:30, but she needs the food ... and eating at 7pm and 9pm just seems too close together. Hmm, more trial and error!

1 comment:

Beaches said...

Ugh. Awful about the sickness. I just got over it too! Had it for five days. FIVE DAYS! The worst... I can't imagine how you do that with a newborn. I feel for you.

I hope you didn't have to face your phobia too often... :)

Glad you are all feeling better.