Wednesday, July 18, 2007

mall rats

The mall can be a new mom's best friend, but it's not without its challenges. It can be tough maneuvering around slow walkers, people who stop suddenly, and don't even get me started about store layouts... Many stores just cram as much merchandise as possible into every space, forgetting that the people who shop during weekdays - moms and seniors - can often just look from afar. I've bumped the stroller into displays so far, and driven Sara over the bottom parts of racks that stick out, and frankly I don't care if I knock something on the floor (as long as it's not breakable)... it's my form of protest. Today a smug little teen working in a clothing store refused to let me by twice, and gave attitude to another mom who just asked if any change rooms were big enough for strollers. I seriously considered running over her foot.

Today I decided to feed Sara at the mall while running errands, so I asked for a cup with a bit of boiling water from MMMmuffins to heat the bottle (the lady charged me 25 cents... argh). Well, the water was just hot an dafter 5 minutes had barely left cold status. Uh oh! I snagged a comfy armchair the mall has set up, beside another mom feeding. I was so worried Sara wouldn't take it cold, but she did! And, she was so interested in her surrounding that she didn't cry at all during burping! Nevertheless, next time I'll stick to adding the powder to room temperature water. Sara even attracted her own little fan club of admirers, giving big smiles to them all. That's my girl!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha - I can relate to bumping the stroller into MANY things at the mall too, but I can't say I've ever had your experience of rudeness.

Also, you could try bringing a thermos with hot water with you (just do half hot and half room temp). I do this now to warm baby K's solid foods when we're out.