Friday, September 21, 2007

bring on the food

This weekend will be a big one in little Sara's life - and for us too, as parents - our baby girl is starting solids! I've been busy washing and sterilizing highchair trays, spoons, bowls, sippy cups... oh my. When we got these things at my baby shower, this stage seemed SO far away.

The box of Heinz rice cereal, chosen after much research and added confidence knowing it was once Pablum, is on standby on the kitchen table beside the highchair. Even though it's more work, I'm looking so forward to watching Sara try different foods... especially since food is a great love her dad and I share. I do plan to make her produce by steaming, pureeing and freezing it once a week. This is the perfect time of year to start too. We'll be making trips to farmer's markets to buy locally grown and organic produce like sweet potatoes, squash, apples... yum! It will be fun, but I'm taking what we feed her pretty seriously too. I'm not going to make strained meats (mmm, strained meats) but I think it's so important to make responsible food choices from the beginning.

Speaking of which... I'm realizing that we need to make greener choices for household cleaning products very soon. It's not because some celebrity is telling me so, it's because I don't want my little babe breathing fumes or having her hands and mouth touching surfaces that have been cleaned with harsh chemicals when she starts moving around more. So, it looks like we'll also be restocking our vinegar, baking soda and Borax!

I must admit I find the idea of changing from a strictly formula routine to breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack pretty confusing at the moment, but we'll see how it goes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Method" is a great brand for enviro cleaning products (can buy at shoppers drugmart and they now have a cheaper, generic brand of their own)...for those days you don't feel like mixing your own. And they work quite well and are not crazy expensive!