Friday, September 14, 2007

"Should I be concerned if ___?"

This is how one of a new mama's most commonly uttered phrases begins when talking to the doc, fellow moms, family members, play group members, or almost anyone who will listen, really. Usually it's in a casual, I'm-not-really-freaked-out-about-this-but-thought-I-would-just-mention-it sort of tone. We all want our babes to be developing 'normally' along the standardized chart of milestones. Despite disclaimers that every baby is an individual and the charts are meant as a guideline, it's impossible to read that your baby isn't doing something she's 'supposed' to and not worry...at least a little.

At 5 months and 1 week, I've been reading about the 6 month milestones and getting geared up to introduce solid food. By 6 months, Sara should be sitting on her own and rolling both ways. Hmm. So far she has only rolled once in each direction, with little sign of doing it again... She doesn't love being on her tummy yet, though she will stay on it for longer periods and reach for toys now. Usually I lie beside her saying things like "That's great, Sara... now just tuck your knee up under your bum... bring an arm around in front of you..." Yeah right, Mommy! She pushes up her arms and chest, or kicks her feet and waves her arms around, but no rolling. Ironically, she often rolls from her back onto her side in the crib now, but not while we're playing.

As for sitting, she does little curl ups all the time and usually when we pull her up to sitting she likes it. But suddenly for the past few days she stiffens her back and legs and pushes backwards. If I sit her on the floor in front of me with some toys, sometimes she plays for a short time while I support her lightly... other times, she arches her back and pushes backward again. The Bumbo? She tries to launch herself out backwards just when you think she is sitting calmly. The past two days have been really difficult - I've tried sitting her facing me, or sitting on my belly while I lie down... and 8 times out of 10 I get kicked in the gut/boob until I hold her standing up or against me instead.

She is certainly doing well with her her hands and coordination/reaching. And this kid is definitely strong - that much I'm not worried about! She has always been active, even if it's just constantly moving her feet in her chair or holding her toes when lying on the floor. Her head and neck are very strong, and bathtime, despite the rubber ducky, is not lots of fun. She starts out calm, sometimes sitting a little to play with her toes or a rubber ducky, but inevitably she arches back with superbaby strength and it takes two of us to hold her in for a speedy wash/rinse. Sometimes Ian has to hold her standing up, which she is quite content with. That's right, I said standing up...in her tub. Funny? Yes! Scary? Yes! She does like the pool though, so it's not a fear of water... our first trip into the pool this week was great fun, and she looked adorable in her ruffly Nemo bathing suit!

So what does all this mean? Is this progression typical? Do all babies start to learn new skills and then rebel for a while? Do I keep trying or am I pushing too hard? Is there something else going on? This is when I wish I had more friends on mat leave to compare notes with. I know that when she is wriggling away from me during a change or when I'm chasing her I'll miss the stationary days, but for now I just want to know everything is ok!

1 comment:

Christina.B said...

she is more than likely just fine. Forget about what the books say and just enjoy what she CAN do. Babies just like adults progress on their own time, when there ready they will do it, and then sometimes they might try something new then relize they arent really ready so they regress a lil bit.

my nephew is 9 mos and just started rolling, but hannah our lil girl she was doing it at 4 mos, but now she will be 12mos on the 25th and has no teeth... he has eight!

kids will always be different , if your still worried in a few months then talk to your pediatric,or family docter.

btw

out of pure curiousity

are you in toronto