Wednesday, October 24, 2007

decisions, decisions

Things have been busy around here lately, but after my friend introduced me to this blog and I found this post about 'creative self-control', I had to take a deep breath and smile. This blogger/artist does a great job of articulating what she feels is a problem with her art -- a total inability to settle upon and stick to a definitive "style". YES! I really GET IT. I too suffer from MSD (multiple style disorder) and it has always made me feel like I'm really lacking something. Like I'm not really good at any one thing, not really an "artist". The post, and comments afterwards, were to me like someone offering me a big bowl of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked ice cream, with extra brownies and fudge sauce on top. What a comfort and relief!

Witness exhibit A ... these are recent pieces. I've had a thing for birds lately.... and combos of pink/brown/red/rust/teal. Please ignore my crappy art photography, the flash so often reflects on the paint and distorts the colours. I can't figure out how to stop this from happening, and no flash usually makes everything blurry.
And here's exhibit B... This is actually only about 3/4 done, but it shows my expressive 'kid' style. It's going to be for Sara's room and I'm having a lot of fun with it! I'll try to get a better photo of it when it's done.
I also have an expressive 'adult' style... and people seem to like my paper/paint mixed media, which looks quite different again. But, I don't see this as a problem anymore. It seems to be a quirky creative trait that so many of us share. I have too many ideas and inspirations rattling around in my head to pick just one! And maybe I just wouldn't be me if I didn't always have a myriad of painting/mixed media/knitting/quilting/sewing projects in the wings. And let's face it, like the other blogger, I have trouble making decisions in general. Anyone who has been to a restaurant with me can attest to my inability to pick one dish off the menu... and even when I have it narrowed to two choices, after I order I feel better if someone else at the table ordered my other choice. Just so I can see it and possibly try some.

My other issue? Before having a baby, I painted with the intent of selling or giving them away except for a few pieces that were made for a certain spot in our house. Now, I want to give everything to Sara!

No comments: