Tuesday, January 23, 2007

bellies and bubble baths

First of all, I have to say that pre-natal massage is just about the best thing ever, especially in the winter on a cold day. My therapist set up the table with a heating pad (non-electric), soft blankets and relaxing music... and the preggo pillow. It's two special pads attached by velcro straps, and after getting onto the table in a most un-graceful way, your belly drops in the space between so that there's no pressure. Massage is fantastic for all the aches and pains of pregnancy, and for me that includes my hips which are still painfully sore at night. They felt bruised as she massaged them!

Anyway, after I got home I wanted to ease my muscles even more by soaking in a bath. I haven't taken a bath in a couple of months, so here's a recap of bathing at 31 weeks pregnant...

1. Poured warm (not too warm!) water. Usually I like it almost hot tub hot, so this was not my usual pre-preganancy temperature.
2. Carefully eased self into tub. Not as hard as I thought. So far so good.
3. Listened to gush of water get sucked into the overflow drain thingy, because I'm huge. Pretty funny, gives a new meaning to 'displacement'.
4. Realized that my belly didn't fit below the water level, even though we have a large soaker tub. Shimmied down some more into the tub, belly still not fitting underwater.
5. Laughed realizing that 'the girls' also do not fit under the water and were like two large buoys.
6. It was pretty cold in the bathroom, thus belly and boobs were cold. Tried splashing warm water over them, wondering if baby likes the water washing over her.
7. Struggled upright to use soap on bath puff. Decided against further soaking, due to #4 and #5.
8. Pondered how to get out on my own. Carefully got up and noticed how little water was actually in the tub. Heh.

May be my last bath until AFTER baby arrives... and then I'll dream for the time to have a bath!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Actually, depending on your labour, you may want to use the whirlpool (or bath) during contractions. I didn't during mine but my friend said it worked wonders for her. Your hospital may offer this option. So maybe not your last "bath" before baby arrives. Good luck!