Thursday, January 18, 2007

body movin'

One of the things I love the most about being pregnant is feeling her little (but strengthening!) body moving about in 'hotel belly'. It's so reassuring, and makes me feel so connected to her. Although I am getting more tired and everything seems awkward, this is one thing I will miss once she is born. It's amazing what they respond to -- certain foods, songs, voices, and Ian loves how she'll get going under wherever he puts his hand on my belly (unfortunately she doesn't move on demand for anyone else!) The movements are changing now too, sometimes it's like a roller coaster sensation and it's so visible!

Last week I had my first scare though, she did very bizarre move like a fast-paced pulsing/twitching. Although I still felt her moving for the rest of the day, it was a bit quieter than her usual gymnastics (or at least it seemed that way in my anxiety). As soon as I said I had a "very weird feeling" to my obstetrician, he said "Did it feel like a seizure?" For obvious reasons I had been avoiding this word, but that's exactly what it felt like. He said that he hears it quite often, and it's nothing to be concerned about. Apparently it is something called the Moro or Morrow Reflex, and relates to our evolution from apes. Because the baby's neurological system is not yet fully developed, this kind of involuntary action can occur like a startle reflex. While pregnant, mom doesn't need to actually 'startle' the baby to have it happen, although newborns sometimes do it while sleeping if startled (like if you knock lightly against the crib). I was SO relieved to hear this, and wanted to share it because it wasn't in any of my pregnancy books.

Anyhow, all is well and she's been her active little self and practicing her 'floor routine' ever since!

1 comment:

Beaches said...

Hey Christine - I wanted to look up this post and thank you for writing it.

Two days ago I started feeling the same sensation that you describe here - and I remembered that you'd posted about it!

It helped to reassure me that all is well. Keep up the posts - us newbies are reading and listening!