Tuesday, January 30, 2007

desperately seeking sleep!

I'm at six weeks of increasingly uncomfortable sleep. It's mostly due to worsening hip joint pain when lying in bed, and also because I need more belly support now. I shouldn't complain because I've had a good pregnancy so far and all that matters is that Sweet Pea (or Cupcake, as some friends call her!) is healthy... but last night I had a little meltdown. Nighttime has become quite a dramatic routine, and I've just about given up on my strategic combination of pillows and rolled up towels. I wake up multiple times, sometimes every hour, not just to pee but to try and find a comfortable position. I'm supposed to sleep on my left side, but it's been impossible to not flip sides back and forth. Considering that I wake up at 5:30 for a long commute to work, it's getting to be pretty draining.

I know this will all sound silly when I'm up for 3am feeds and diaper changes, but please... one step at a time!

My manager recommended the Snoogle body pillow after hearing that a friend, who is expecting twins, can't sleep without hers. I've found lots of great reviews online, and discovered that it's actually sold at Toys R Us. Why haven't I bought this sooner?? It's a bit pricey at $59.99, but with two more months to go (and hopefully a baby #2 in the future) the thing could cost $200 and I'd be in. Apparently the Snoogle will provide both back or belly support, help keep the hips aligned, and make it easy to roll over when needed.

I called Ian at work in desperation, begging him to pleeeeasssse go pick one up that I put on hold near where he works. I'll report back in a few days about how it's working... or, if my posts get increasingly illogical/grumpy, you'll know why!

Snoogle Body Pillow

Toys R Us link to buy online

No comments: