Monday, January 15, 2007

cravings and cupcakes

Today was baby's first snow day as Southern Ontario got its first blast of winter in the form of freezing rain, ice pellets and snow. There was no way I was venturing out, and fortunately Ian didn't have to work until the afternoon.

As a fitting winter dinner, I'm having turkey chili tonight. People always ask what foods I've been craving, and whether the baby seems to like anything in particular. Here's the lowdown (in no particular order):

1. Peanuts. I've always had trouble restraining myself from dry roasted peanuts once I get my hands on a jar, but I've hit new limits during pregnancy.
2. Cottage cheese. This is a good thing, high amounts of both protein and calcium.
3. Chocolate cake. I went through a phase at the beginning of needing chocolate cake, in particular a La Rocca chocolate truffle cake that you can buy by the slice at our grocery store. So decadent, so good.
4. Chocolate milk. I can drink this until the cows come home (har har), but I usually mix it with half 1% regular milk to cut down on the sugar.
5. Scalloped potatoes. This craving has mostly gone away, but for a month or so I wanted them all the time.
5. Cereal. We have six different kinds sitting on top of our fridge.
6. Cupcakes. This is the latest. I've been mildly obsessed with cupcakes for the past few years, and now I want to make all kinds! Last week I made Barefoot Contessa's classic Coconut Cupcakes, pictured above.

As for food aversions, there's just one and it has stuck so far. Lettuce. Yes, that's right, lettuce (and any other kind of leafy green, actually). All I can eat is one piece hidden in a sandwich, or Dr. Oetker's Ristorante Spinach pizza.

So, no stereotypical cravings like pickles and ice cream (does anyone really crave that?). And, like me, the baby seems to like food in general... but I get extra kicks after anything with dairy!

No comments: