Wednesday, March 07, 2007

37 weeks - domestic bliss?

So here I am on maternity leave... waking up Monday morning and realizing that I didn't have to go to work was strange, but after seeing the snow squalls and white out conditions we had all day, I had no regrets! After taking a self-imposed computer detox for a few days, you may be wondering if I've become a lady of leisure... sitting with my feet up, belly spilling out over track pants, eating Cadbury mini eggs in front of the TV. I'm happy to report that at some times that's a pretty accurate picture! However, I've also been pushed into domestic overdrive.

This nesting thing reached new heights, and I spent Monday clearing out and reorganizing closets. I love the feeling of throwing things out and getting organized... our linen closet is now a work of art. However, the irony is, while I feel a surge of mental energy to do these things before the baby arrives, I just don't have the physical stamina. After short bursts of activity my lower back hurts, there's pressure in my abdomen, and I'm out of breath. The baby hasn't officially 'dropped' or lightened/engaged, at least as of last Thursday, but I'm so glad to be done work because it's harder to move around this week. Do you know what it feels like to have something pinch your groin from the inside, or like you have a balloon being inflated in your crotch? I do! (Sorry... may as well just tell it like it is!)

Over the past 2 days I've tackled the following, in short spurts:

1. Reorganizing the linen closet and some kitchen drawers.
2. Cleaning the clutter off our disastrous dresser, kitchen table, and spare room.
3. Starting to knit this cute kimono sweater (green with pink ties)
4. Looking at recipes to make and freeze for the first couple of weeks when we bring the baby home.
5. Shopping for the last things I need to pack the hospital bag: nipple cream, some magazines, baby no-scratch mitts, baby brush/comb, and extra maternity underwear (more like granny panties...)

Speaking of the hospital bag, it's finally ready. The list of recommended items reads like we're going on a leisurely family cruise! It took a lot longer than I thought, mostly picking out which sleepers and outfits I want the baby to have for her first photos! As for my things, well, if you've ever wondered who still buys the gigantic maxi pads in an era of lightweave/ultra thin options, it's moms-to-be... paired with granny panties and a hospital gown, this look is HOT.

This afternoon/evening I'm planning to just chill in front of the TV with my soap, Oprah, Ellen, and some rented movies...

2 comments:

Beaches said...

Sounds like heaven! Except for the balloon crotch - that part not so much.
I also love organizing/ cleaning/purging - so satifying! And your linen closet get my stamp of approval. Well done.

We miss you here at the office... but I'm glad to hear you are enjoying these precious moments before baby. Keep us posted!

xom

Unknown said...

If you're ever wondering what to do if your water breaks while you're in bed and you want to protect your mattress, buy an incontinence pad.

A girlfriend of mine lined her bed with garbage bags, but with the pad it doesn't crinkle when you sleep. Much better! Plus you can use it for any postpartum bleeding.

Enjoy the time off, last bit of time when there will just be the two of you.