Monday, March 19, 2007

mom hair?

Still pregnant, and I'm getting antsy realizing that Sweet Pea will most likely be arriving in the next 10 days! I booked a last-minute panicked hair appointment for tomorrow morning, because I really need a cut and it occurred to me that I have no clue when I'll be able to get it done once she's born. Maybe it's the need for layers with natural curl, but when it needs to be cut, it needs to be cut now. Not to sound selfish, but let's face it -- I feel much better when my hair doesn't look like crap, so I really want to make it to the appointment!

So here's my debate... Should I go for a cute new bob cut, or just a trim to tide me over? For the past few months I've been obsessing over wanting to cut my hair, I just hope it's not a hormonally fueled idea. I've been growing it for over two years, but like most women I know, I seem to like flipping between chopping and growing it out. This seems to go hand in hand with big life changes. Let me take stock... in high school I grew my hair long and straightened my curls everyday. In university I cut it short and ditched the straightener, which was so liberating because I no longer feared the slightest humidity or drops of rain. When I started working I grew it longer. Longer still for our wedding, then short post-wedding. Now longer again, and I'm realizing that it just doesn't work for me. It's too fine... I don't get long, thick Sarah Jessica curls.

When I told Ian of my hair-cutting fantasies he said 'but all moms cut their hair!' Let me stress that I don't want "mom hair". The bob is fun. Plus, my hair is fine, so when it's long it gets flat and pulls my face down. Why I don't remember this each time I try to grow it long is beyond me. Despite meticulous layering, I start to get the pyramid head look unless I blow dry it everyday, and somehow I don't see myself having time for that!

I never coloured my hair until 1 1/2 years ago, but once I did I got hooked by a brighter, blonder me. I was tempted to do it tomorrow, but will hold off on that until post-pregnancy. My hair may change, plus the money will be worth it after I come out of the zombie state of the first few months and want a little pampering. Unfortunately right now the 'stripe' from not colouring since getting pregnant is somewhat trashy and makes my original colour look mousy in comparison (sigh - another argument for more of a chop?!)

Chop or trim... hmm.

2 comments:

Beaches said...

Hee - so funny because I literally just wrote a post (significantly different in subject matter, mind you) where I ask the exact same question - to chop or not to chop.

I had my hair done just after you left work and cut it considerably shorter than it was... about to the jaw line right now. Yet still, doesn't seem to be enough! I really think I might go short-short again for summer.

I say chop it! Chop, chop, chop. Sometimes that shock of change is just what you need to feel sassy and sexy, and let's face it, us curly blondes just "work" with short flouncy cuts!

warmandsunnydays said...

Chop! It's so obvious you want to!.