Friday, March 23, 2007

biding time

After having a bad sleep the past two nights then being stuck in the house yesterday while it poured rain, this morning I was excited to get out for a waddle and some fresh air to check out some little shops in our town that I've been hearing about. I was tempted to spends tons of money ... but I was good and just bought a cool striped tea towel (on sale) that will be sewn into a pillow for a certain little someone's room as she gets a bit older. It's by a London designer I hadn't seen before, Cath Kidston. I LOVE her colours and fabrics, and I can think of a couple of you who will too. Apparently our local store is one of her only Canadian vendors and they have a lot of the merchandise.

The nesting thing has diminished from obsession status, as I've now cleaned virtually every surface in our house. This has sparked a revelation ... I thought I was more or less on top of 'keeping house' while working full time. However, given the gobs of dust I've wiped from on top of or behind furniture, plus the clutter I've dealt with (seriously, receipts and souvenirs from our trip to Maine *last August*? Orphan buttons that came off of god knows what article of clothing?) I've realized how completely wrong I was. Yes ladies, housewives just have cleaner houses. As odd as it may sound, I actually feel better now. It's also nice to know we're bringing our baby home to a clean house... at least for the first few days!

I also just finished reading Shopaholic & Baby. Highly recommend it for anyone preggers now or has been recently, or who yearns to 'be the girl with the hot pink pram'! I wanted something light and fun, and the rest of the Chapters selection just wasn't cutting it... Young girl gets abducted by crazed appliance repairman? Nope. Couple has baby in the 1920s, who turns out to have Down Syndrome and is institutionalized? Don't think so. Sophie Kinsella's latest was a great read... and although it was written with humour, yes, I still cried when she had the baby.

2 comments:

Beaches said...

Hey - have you ever raed anything by Jennifer Weiner? If you like the Shopoholic books - I think you'll love her!

Her first book "Good In Bed" is my fav... but "Little Earthquakes" might be more relevent for you if you're looking for some fun, light, new-mom type reading. I recommend them all!

It's "chicklit" with some smarts and a great funny, witty tone.

sugar mama said...

Thanks for the tip! I haven't read her before, but sounds like just what I'm looking for.