Thursday, March 08, 2007

surprises!

Today has been a day of surprises... first, I had my 37 week checkup before lunch. I love my obstetrician, he's so calming and easy-going. As he began to examine my belly, the conversation went a little like this:

Me: "She feels lower this week." (trying to sound very nonchalant and casual)
Dr: "Mmm. Well, she could be..." (getting out his measuring tape)
Me: "That wouldn't necessarily mean anything though, right? Don't some people drop a few weeks before delivering?"
Dr: "Oh yes, definitely. You could still be up to a week overdue, or some people don't drop at all until their due date..." (starts feeling my abdomen for the baby's positioning), "Hmm. Yes, you're quite a bit lower actually. Much more room up top, her head is low."
Me: "Really?" (still trying to sound casual)
Dr: (Helping me to sit up) "I'll know more next week when I do an internal exam, but I suspect you'll deliver early... I think it's quite likely!"
Me: *Gulp.* Try not to panic.

Right after my appt. I met MIL for lunch at Milestone's (btw, the butternut squash ravioli with goat cheese is fantastic) and she surprised me with some more newborn clothes and the means to get the Pack n' Playard we had registered for, plus a nice dinner out with I. before the baby arrives - thanks Grandma and Grandpa!!

When I got home I sat in the rocker and read to my belly. Today's selection was my own childhood copy of Mr. Small. I still remembered all the pictures (like how his big meal is half a pea, a crumb, and a drop of lemonade!) Sweet Pea is usually very quiet while I read to her, I pretend that she's enjoying the book too.

So I'm nervous, very nervous, but also very excited to meet our baby. Before next week's appt. while I. is at work I'll be doing a lot of visiting with friends, getting last-minute things ready, crafting/painting... and sleeping!

2 comments:

Beaches said...

OMG! That's it... I'm starting an office pool. How can we NOT gamble on the arrival date of your little Vegas baby?

BTW - the Little Mr./Ms. books? LOVE!

Thinking of you. (And missing you too!)

sugar mama said...

Ooh, can't wait to see who wins - my money is on you :) Miss you guys too!